Category: 3. Software

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Yesterday (Friday) was a big day, we had planned to have a working prototype this day. So that we could start testing them in real life situations as we had planned in our schedule. if you read the last post from Wednesday, you might know we had big plans on building awesomeness with the finished thermo cups that had dual layers.

In the morning we first needed to find out how conductive our filling materials where. So shampoo didn’t work, as this test turned out positive. We did actually not test the conditioner that we also had bought just because in our minds that has probably the same characteristics. Actually this is false, conditioner doesn’t conduct electricity, which we later tested almost when we where headed home for the day.

Anyway so after the shampoo test had failed, one of us set of continuing molding with hot glue  even though most of us disliked that cup because of it’s ruff surface and simple form. We are humans and I guess we all like to drink out of a cup that looks good and looks clean, this is really important. But still we all agreed on that hot glue had the best characteristics on how it’s lit up. But when each cup take about more than a half day to produce it’s not a viable    solution, we need some material that can be molded and whilst being molded has some really low viscosity so it goes in to all holes and areas of our mold. It should also be easy to remove from the template, or the template should easily be broken off and reproduced.

In another part of our group we discussed what other materials you can fill the thermo cups (with dual layers). We came up with several ones mostly toxic ones though. But we also came up with the perfect candidate coconut butter because of it’s see through characteristics. But we also discussed that we could use glitter inside a fully see through oil of some kind. So whilst headed out to buy some great material we kind of got cold feet’s on buying toxic materials. Each user is going to drink from the cup and if anything leaks that would be a shame and dangerous situation. So after buying syrup and coconut oil which is both edible and has great qualities for this task we tried them out.

Syrup with glitter was quite a drag, it didn’t shine up any large area at all. Most light escaped directly out of our thermo cups from one spot. We need it to spread out on a surface as big as possible. And with coconut butter we had kind of the same problem but also it cracked when solidified. We also mixed syrup and coconut butter and glitter, that was the worst solution. Syrup and the butter didn’t mix, it was just a lot of droplets with butter and syrup. Looked awful.

And when the day was almost over we discovered that conditioner had perfect qualities. Even though it’s not edible it’s at least fire proof unlike other materials we had discussed. It also shined up pretty good.

Another problem discovered during the day, the thermo cups had a little too small space in between each layer. This might be the killer for this cup because the LED’s need a thick space in a single material to keep each ray inside the cup shell.

Conclusion is that our goal of having a working prototype today was toast, but we are working on it, and really hard also. The wifi network not mentioned at all in this post was completed and during the day tested with up to four units (simulated cups). So at least we had success doing something that day. // TB

That’s all for today/


Wireless Communication

Today we finalized the software for wireless communication between 2 cups. They’re using the same name and same channel for broadcasting. Which means they have the same code except a variable to define the cupID. Basically cups are working as a “repeater”. They send whatever they know and when they receive something new knowledge base is updated. We tested it with different speeds and it works perfectly without any kind of collusion.

With the current software (current data format) we can use 5 cups, 10 colors and 10 cup holding styles. Of course we can modify it easily to satisfy different needs.

Before testing it with the cups, we need to determine the details of the algorithm which will identify different cup holding styles.